2.04.2008

bUeNo fEbRuArY



Well I thought I was such a slacker because I was planning on writing so often on our blog, yeah its been a while. So after a few weeks here I am writing. I thought I would write because we have some great news to share. This morning we had an appointment for Tyke to see the Orthopedic Surgeon. We hurried to the vet, I have to admit I was so worried and scared I didn't know what to do. I sat in the corner with my eyes covered and cringing every time poor tyke cried due to the pain of his exam. I am not very good with my own pain let alone someone I love. After much crying and wailing, and numerous attempts to bite the assistant and doctors hands the exam ended. I was almost in tears. But tyke being the gentle sweetie that he is got up and wanted to kiss the doctor and the assistant. What a sweetheart!!

Well after finishing and making his notes, he explained to us the outcome of what he saw. According to what he told us there is a surgery out there in which they cut the pelvis in three places on each side, when doing this it completely dislocates the hip joint from the pelvis. The hip joint is then rotated so that the joint fits snuggly like it should and reattached to pelvis with 8 screws and a metal plate. It is apparently very painful and takes a bit to recover from. Not to mention it is about $2000 a hip. Not including the meds and tests needed to put him out, monitor him and wake him up. So to do both hips just for the doctor to do it we were looking at $4000 for him to have this done. Killer!! Well he then told us that not every dog who has hip dysplacia needs this surgery, some this doesn't work for and the dog doesn't benefit from this. Well, Tyke is one such dog where no benefit from the surgery would happen. Well, at my relief I began to worry how to make him feel okay with this pain and discomfort. Apparently over the next 8 months or so Tyke's cartilage will grow and fill the joint completely. In so doing his hips will no longer pop and be painful, instead he will be just fine with the feelings of arthritis. We are starting to give him glucosimine which helps in the building of the cartilage and the movement of joints. So with the supplement and the pain pills he already takes, he will be one healthy and happy dog in about 8 months!

I was very thrilled with this information. Cody however took it harder than I expected, he is very angry that there isn't a quicker fix for him and not to mention his feelings toward the breeder. It is apparent to us that there are plenty of dishonest individuals out there, we are very saddened that someone would lie about something that could cause such pain and problems. Unfortunately there isn't anything legally we can do to change things, so we will just continue to love Tyke with all our hearts and enjoy our time with him.

Well in addition to this news, we also had a fun event following Tykes appointment. Cody and I have been looking to buy a town home in the Springville area in Utah. We have been thinking a lot about this decision and we have decided to proceed forward and buy our first home. We went today and placed a deposit and picked colors and flooring for the house. We are very excited, it should be finished around March 18th. We will show the progress as we can on here and keep you posted on the workings and updates!!

So with all this being said, I think we are starting February off on a good foot!

No comments: